Tuesday 7 October 2014

Once upon a time.....

Over the past few years a number of people have suggested I start a blog. My reaction has always been I really don't have enough to say (which is funny for someone who loves writing). Really though, for me it was about having something of substance to say and not just writing something because of the need to post a blog. I knew the more pressure to fill the blog the more inane my posts would be; just look at my twitter account, or rather please don't. The pressure of 130 words ...red sparrows don't work well with caged restrictions.

The good news for my idle twitter account is from trying to think of 130 word pieces of substance I had an idea! My idea went something like this....

I may not always have insightful, intelligent, funny posts to blog about on tap but what I do have in this crazy head of mine is loads of  fun, silly and wacky stories for children. To develop that idea further I worry that children's natural creativity is somehow 'lost' or moved aside to make room for all the other 'stuff' (and trust me there seems to be an awful lot of 'stuff') they must learn at school these days. I believe everyone is creative but I guarantee you if you ask a number of your friends they will tell you they are not (but they really are it's just hiding). Anyway I digress! So my idea was to use the blog to write children's stories all but the ending! This will then enable the children to 'write' their own ending. Given this is a blog and not a book the illustrations will be scarce (if any) so hopefully this will help them imagine the characters and scenes, even perhaps unleashing the artist within and drawing them!

So here are the instructions...
I will write a children's story once a week. If you feel so inclined (and hopefully you will) read it to your child(ren) (or for older children they may be able to read it themselves). I will leave the ending free for them to complete the story. If they like they can also draw the characters. I will let you know the age  appropriateness at the beginning of the story.


What do you think? A good idea or should I head back to twitter!!!!

Cheerio
Sam
www.redsparrowkids.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment